Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Early Thanksgiving Wishes

Posted by: Ruth A Casie
We celebrate Thanksgiving the day after turkey day at our house. We started the tradition as a compromise with my kids. They were conflicted about where to spend Thanksgiving. No one wanted to miss dinner with their family. We talked about brunch in the morning or later in the day. I opted for the day after. It was not a hardship. I did it selfishly. This way I have them all to myself. They, and their in-laws, love the idea.

It's only Wednesday and I've already started cooking. This year it's glazed salmon and brisket. That's another benefit of celebrating the day after. No turkey. Everyone's had their fill on Thursday. I can be a bit more creative with the menu. Although the family still demands mulled cider, sweet potato souffle and noodle pudding.

Today the family will begin to gather. Our son and his girlfriend will drive to New Jersey from Boston. Our older daughter and her family as well as the newlyweds (our younger daughter got married the day before Hurricane Sandy) will move back home on Friday and stay for the weekend. It will definitely be a houseful but I wouldn't want it any other way.

For me it's all about family. The coffee runs to Dunkin Donuts, the late night outing to the local ice cream shop, and flopping on the sofa watching movies or football with a large bowl of popcorn. It's all magical to me. I also look forward to Monday when they all go home but I know it's only for a few weeks. We'll do all again and this time with presents!

What are your family traditions? What are your favorite holiday recipes?

Have a great Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...