Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Goal Reset

Posted by: Nicole Luiken
Welp, summer's over and the kids are back in school. I don't know about you, but I didn't get as much done this summer as I'd hoped. This is largely due to too many games of solitaire and too much time lost on social media, but also partly due to an unscheduled revamp of a book I thought was finished and copyedits/proofs on Feral which is releasing this November. The end result: the third draft of the book I started revising in January is Still Not Done (though I DID reach a major milestone last Friday).

Third draft is when I do scene-level editing and polishing and adding description. I do it by hand and then enter the changes in my word processing program, because I edit better with a pen in hand, but the process is still hugely time-consuming. By this point, I am thoroughly sick of my current project and am torn between the lure of New Shiny Ideas and wanting, so badly, to be done.

It's been a long, long time since New Year's goals. So, since fall is starting, I thought now would be a good time to set some monthly goals:

1/ Finish Replacing the Princess, draft three. Honestly, this ought to be doable. I have (counts on fingers) about five chapters left, though since I decided to rewrite the ending they will require extra work.

2/ Finish critiquing my husband's novel. Only two chapters left there. I was going to do it this morning and then remembered I had a blog post to write. :)

3/ Put in at least two writing sessions on Project B. Poor Project B has been languishing for quite awhile. I'm close to the end, but I can't figure out one character's next step.

4/ Track what time of day I'm most productive, so I can plan my days better in future.

And I'd better stop there. That looks like plenty for one month. Wish me luck and good luck with your own goal reset!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...