Friday, April 27, 2012

Meet the Here Be Magic Authors - Ruth A Casie

Posted by: Veronica Scott
Continuing a new feature at Here Be Magic - periodic interviews with the Authors who create the magic. Our next interviewee is Ruth A Casie, whose most recent book is Knight of Runes.



1. Tell us a little about yourself:
I’m a seasoned professional with over twenty-five years of writing experience but not necessarily writing romances.  No, I’ve been writing communication and marketing documents for a large corporation.  Over the past years, encouraged by my friends and family, I gave way to my inner muse and let my creative juices flow. Now I write historical fantasies about strong men and empowered women and how they cope with unexpected challenges. I hope my stories become your favorite adventures.
2. What prompted you to start writing? I have always enjoyed telling stories, but I kept them in my head. I would read a story and fantasize about a follow up. But I never thought to write it down or become an author.
A friend of mine told me she was writing a book and I offered to help, edit, be a beta reader, anything. We decided to write a romance series based on the story in her head and the one in mine. We sat down and helped each other outline our stories, talked about the characters, and had a great time being creative. She was training for the New York marathon and doing the college tour thing with her daughter. She just didn’t have time to write. I went on to finish my story.
Once I found that creative outlet I couldn’t stop.
3. What’s your writing process? Where do you write? I proudly say, I am a linear plotzer! I start with page one and write sequentially. If a scene pops into my head I have learned to jot it down and tuck it away for later. I used to think I’d remember them but quickly learned I forgot more than I remembered.
I start with a story idea and then my characters. I do write out their goals, motivations and conflicts. I do a rough outline of the story to make certain I know where key points should go, more of a direction rather than a hard and fast roadmap. Sometimes the side trips I take are really worth it. Sometimes my characters actually amaze me with how they develop the story.  
With all our children grown and out of the house, I’ve taken over one of the bedrooms and made it into an executive office. I love it.

4. What’s your guilty pleasure? If you’re talking about food it’s ice cream, vanilla. I know, not too exciting until you put on some hot fudge and whipped cream. I also love to go to the theater. Living close to New York City, my husband and I try to often.
5. How do you celebrate when you finish a novel? My family took me out to dinner. My brother and his wife brought over a bottle of champagne. My grandchildren gave me kisses (any excuse). I had a smile on my face for days!
6. What has surprised you about being a published author?  I think it was confidence in myself and my story and knowing I had a dynamite opening line to my pitch. I also think I needed to find a quality publisher who would risk going outside the box. Editors and agents kept telling me that there was no interest in time travel.
7. Do you do a lot of research for your books? It seems that at every scene there was something to research. I found myself researching how fast a horse canters and trots and then calculated how long it would take to drive the same distance. Rebeka holds a PhD in Renaissance studies so I researched PhD programs and even developed a possible thesis for her. I even researched where the solicitor in London would have his office.
The 17th century annual harvest is a pivotal part of the story. I read about harvest festivals, games, music, and even banquet meals. I researched recipes and even tried a few so I could write and make the story sound plausible and authentic.
The fight scenes were a challenge. I watched YouTube videos and wrote copy as if I was a radio announcer just to get an idea of the timing and moves. I took a fight scene writing workshop with Rayne Hall to get understand what worked and what didn’t when writing a fight scene.
However, the most fun thing I did was drive a BMW Z4. Well, how else could I describe the look and feel of the car to say nothing of the joy of the ride. Oh, the things I do for my craft!
8. Have you ever used an incident from real life in one of your books? Yes, I have. On a business trip several years ago I stayed at the Savoy Hotel in London and had tea in the Thames Room. I fell in love with tea, scone and clotted cream. I put that into my story.
9. Quickfire:
Favorite TV Show: Dancing With the Stars
Favorite Movie: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Cats or Dogs? Dogs
Favorite Flower: Hydrangea
Tea or coffee:  Coffee
Boxers or Briefs:  His briefs
Sweet or spicy: Sweet
Morning person or evening person: Morning
Favorite food: ice cream
Favorite time of the year: Fall
Favorite song: Smooth by Santana
10. Finish this sentence  “I believe in the Magic of……” of a child’s laugh.  You can’t help but smile.
11. What are you working on next? I’m working on a historical fantasy set in 1290 on the border between England and Scotland.  In order to save the man she loves from being wrongly executed and prevent being married off to another, a woman, born with mystical abilities, must make a crucial decision. Dare she rely on her knight to find a way to save them both or does she trust her magic and risk exposure and persecution as a witch?
12. What one question do you want to ask your Readers today?  How much of the hero/heroine do you want described? Do you want to know every little thing or do you prefer filling in your own image?
Where can your Readers find you online? www.RuthACasie.com
Knight of Runes can bed found at Carina Press  Amazon  Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...