Tuesday, November 5, 2019

NaNoWriMo Rebel

Posted by: Nicole Luiken

I'm participating in National Novel Writing Month (hereinafter known as NaNoWriMo) again, but this time I'm breaking the rules.

The rules of NaNoWriMo are to write a complete 50,000 words novel from start to finish during the month of November, but a significant portion of us bend the rules. There are so many of us Rebels, that NaNoWriMo staff made a badge for us. (See left)

My goals for the month are two-fold: First to finish the first draft of Mike and Angel 5 which I was supposed to finish in October. (I feel like I only have a chapter or two to go, but my outline is sketchy at best so we'll see.) Second, to lay down as many words as I can on a sequel to my unpublished epic fantasy novel Path of Power.

I still want to hit that 50,000 word achievement, but being a rebel means choosing your own goals. This may mean trying to hit a smaller goal like 10, 20 or 30,000 words or simply to write every day.

So if you've been avoiding NaNoWriMo because you feel it's impossible or you're already in the middle of a project, I encourage you to go for it! There's no penalty if you fail (I have both won and lost NaNoWriMo in the past, but I've never regretted trying) and no monetary prize hinged on winning just the simple joy of accomplishment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...