Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Writing: 2 tips for going with the flow

Posted by: Angela Campbell
I recently changed day jobs. After a 20-plus-year career in print journalism, I got out of the funny papers and accepted a job as a technical writer for a large company. I've been blessed in that my love of writing has always provided me with a steady paycheck in one way or another. Technical writing is ... well, not very creative. I have an almost hour commute both ways, but the truth is, I wanted a not-very-creative outlet for my day job to help me find my creative writing mojo again. As much as I loved writing human interest pieces for a magazine, I was also doing the job of about five people and getting paid almost half of what I should have been. I was so tired, I never felt like pulling out the computer and writing fiction when I got home, and I had to do a lot of freelance writing to supplement my income just to pay the bills. I was drained. My writing mojo was gone, y'all. Stolen by a pesky little thing called life.

The good news is, it's starting to come back. If you're struggling to find words to fill a page and writing has become something you dread, here's a couple of tricks that have helped me get past it. So, I thought I'd share.

Get Back to Reading (or Listening)

I have listened to an entire seven-book series on audiobook during my commute for my new day job, and it was awesome. I still don't have enough free time to cuddle up on the couch with a real book, but the point is, read, read, read. Read in the genre you want to write in, and read in genres new to you. Not only will this awaken your creativity, but it keeps you current on writing trends. It also helps you become a better writer. It just does.

Work on Your Craft

I write a lot, and I write for different mediums. Journalism writing is different from fiction writing (hold the jokes, please). Technical writing is different from fiction writing. I've always loved movies and, once upon a time, wanted to be a screenwriter. So a couple of years ago, I started taking online screenwriting classes. I mention this because I've found the tricks and lessons I've learned through screenwriting apply wonderfully to novel writing. I used to be a pantser, not a plotter, but screenwriting requires careful structuring of your story. I highly recommend a book called "Save The Cat!" by Blake Snyder, which is widely used by novice screenwriters to learn the beats your story needs to hit and when to keep someone's interest. Jessica Brody also adapted the concepts into "Save the Cat! Writes a Novel: The Last Book On Novel Writing You'll Ever Need." I feel my writing has gotten much stronger. We'll see. I'm working on a few different projects at once, so it's taking me forever to finish one. But I'm writing, y'all.

Good luck, and happy writing!

***
Angela Campbell is the author of the psychic detectives series from Harper Collins. Visit www.angelacampbellonline.com to learn more about her books.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad to hear you're writing again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting read - Im forwarding to my brother who has written a couple of short stories but lost his mojo a bit x x x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...