Tuesday, May 28, 2019

The Once and Future Steampunk Author?

Posted by: Cindy Spencer Pape


I spent the long Memorial Day weekend at a steampunk convention. It was a blast. I reconnected with old friends and made new ones. As I told one of the organizers, it felt more like a family reunion than a conference. I always get a little weird about this though, particularly if I'm there as a featured author, because it's been three years since I wrote anything even remotely steampunk. Why? Primarily the simple fact that steampunk wasn't selling. While the early books in my Gaslight Chronicles earned accolades, Amazon bestseller spots, and multiple awards, by book 8, I don't think I was even picked up by Audible. Adding to the frustration was that most steampunks think of the genre as a lifestyle one, not a fiction category. Those who are into reading strongly prefer hard copies, while most of the Gaslight Chronicles are only available as e-books or audio books.

So I've moved on, though I still love hanging out with my steampunk friends and family, dressing in the awesome fashion and collecting all the shiny things. For right now,writing is my livelihood. I need to write what I can sell, and I'm working on some straight-up historical romance, and truly enjoying it. Still, I'll probably revisit my Gaslght world. I left too much hanging, and Ilove it too much to stay away forever. Will it be the same? Unlikely. The focus will be different, I'm sure, as the characters age and move on. I've considered a YA spin-off and a mystery/adventure series spin off, which would pull things out of the romance sphere. They might well be self-published. I really have no idea. All I can say is my heart is still there.

Steampunk. The only genre where you can toss romance, mystery, history, science fiction, adventure, horror, fantasy and just about everthing else, into a pot, stir, and pour out a story.

Photo credit: Russ Turner Photography. Steam & Sorcery: Carina Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...