Friday, April 19, 2013

If I wasn't a writer, I'd be...

Posted by: Kaily Hart
An interior designer/decorator! Yeah, I was pretty surprised at this realization myself. I’ve already had one successful career in the IT consulting industry and working on my second with my writing. When I renovated my ENTIRE house a few years ago, it was a major undertaking.


That's my living room, BTW, with all the boxes along the right wall the new kitchen cabinets. Shudder, right? It's totally gutted back to the bare bones!

I was excited, apprehensive, and okay a tiny bit terrified. Or perhaps it was a LOT. I designed every aspect of the renovation which ranged from some structural changes to a lot of cosmetic things. I updated/upgraded EVERY SINGLE room in the house. Actually the outside underwent some pretty substantial changes as well. I selected every fixture, fitting, color and finish. I designed every tile layout. I picked the design for each molding and trim we used. I even designed the layout of the kitchen myself from a completely blank slate. I worked with the guys every day on each step of the process and you know what I found? I absolutely LOVED everything about it. I learned I love looking at furnishings catalogs, tile books, paint chips, architectural accents. I loved everything about the process, especially the sense of immense satisfaction I get when I can sit back in any room of my house and think… I did that. So, if I wasn’t a writer I’d definitely be in the design/decorating/home improvement industry.

What about YOU? What do you think you’d be doing if you could absolutely choose anything you'd like to do, anything at all?

2 comments:

  1. I don't even have to think about this one. Trad musician! :)

    I'd be putting a LOT more effort into my musical practice and having a much bigger presence at the session I go to every month for Quebecois traditional music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was extremely pleased to find this website. I want to to thank you for your
    time for this particularly wonderful read!! I definitely
    enjoyed every little bit of it and i also have you book-marked to see new
    information on your website. I wanted to tell you, I bookmarked Blogger:
    Here be Magic at Pinterest so my friends can see it
    also. If you don't mind I would also share a word of advice. Acquiring brilliant video marketing could well be highly challenging. I find it most effective to talk with a a San Diego Bankruptcy Attorney. Our crew of Bankruptcy Attorneys San Diego are right here to help with all your legal needs.

    My webpage - Amazing Bankruptcy Lawyer San Diego

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...