Friday, April 1, 2011

All the news worth knowing

Posted by: Unknown
I had trouble picking just one topic to talk about this week so I didn't. Instead, I thought I’d do a rundown on some of the news I’ve found interesting lately in publishing, romance and fantasy circles. So maybe not all the news worth knowing but it's what's been bumping around inside my scattered head.

(Just a note: I know it’s April Fool’s Day but so far as I’m aware all of the info below is legit. HATE April Fool’s Day and I would not do that to you.)

There are a few special calls open right now for spec fiction writers:

Samhain is looking for Superhero Romance It’s up, up and away we go, to a world of superheroes and supervillains, where heroes and/or heroines with special abilities and crime-fighting prowess protect the public…and fall in love.”

Carina Press is looking for "steampunk novellas with a winter or winter holiday theme" for a Steampunk Holiday collection.

Avon introduced a new digital imprint, Avon Impulse.

In general publishing news, Amanda Hocking accepted a $2 million advance from St. Martin’s press for a new series and Barry Eisler rejected a $500,000 contract in order to self-publish.

Also, Connie Brockway announced she’s “…going rogue” and self-publishing her next two historical romance novels.

What I think is interesting is that they’re weighing the same factors—time, money, creative control—and coming to different decisions. As a writer I can understand why an author might decide to self-publish one project and contract another with a publishing house. I think as self-publishing goes more mainstream it's just going to be one more thing in a writer's bag o' tricks. I know as a reader, I’m far more open to buying a self-pub book today than I was even a year ago. Any thoughts?

In entertainment news…

Stop. 'S Hammertime.

The movie Thor releases on May 6.

I love Norse mythology (have a book on submission right now based on it). Looking forward to this movie and not just because of that picture. Alright, maybe a lil' bit because of that picture.

Fringe got picked up for another season (Yay!) Love that quirky show. The writers are so unpredictable and it has the best mad scientist I've ever seen on TV. (Sorry, Dr. Doofenschmirtz.)

Game of Thrones premieres on HBO April 17th. I've only read the first book of this series, really liked it but decided to hold off on the rest until it was finished. That said, I like what HBO has done with TrueBlood and I’ve been looking forward to seeing what they do with this one.

That's the news that registered in my brain. So what did I miss?

7 comments:

  1. Looks to me like you caught all the major highlights. I hope the movies will be good. We've had some terrible SF and fantasy movies lately. And I'm such a huge fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was talking to my teen about that last night. There are a ton of fantasy movies in the works based on YA fiction (Hunger Games, Mortal Instruments...) but you don't really see that for adults. (Apparently that's HBO's market?) I know the teens go to a lot of movies but...
    Another couple of movies I want to see are Cowboys & Aliens (not til July) and there's another Three Musketeers out in Oct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Publishing is a crazy old industry. Imagine what Barry Eisler must be earning now if he can afford to turn down half a mil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I read the first three of George R. R. Martin's series, and then gave it up. Things are certainly changing in publishing world, aren't they? I've been following Hocking, Konrath, McQuestion, and a few personal friends go rogue, as Connie puts it. I think once I'm more experienced with editing, etc., I'll try to self-publish a book or three just to see how it goes. Right now, I'm too wet behind the ears. Heck, I just want a few people to read my stories. Is that too much to ask???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it's too much to ask : ) I'm definitely curious to hear about other people's experiences with self-publishing but I don't feel equipped to go there myself quite yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me, either, Eleri. I want to go through the editing process, the book cover part, and learn how to promote myself first. Connie Brockway used to belong to our local RWA chapter. Not sure why she quit, but I'd love to talk to her after she's bone rogue for a while. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the updates! I read the first two of Martin's books, the first of which was Game of Thrones. I can't remember too much of them now, so I'm really looking forward to the miniseries. And Thor... WOW. Cannot wait for that.
    As far as authors going the indie route, I think it depends on their experiences publishing traditionally. An obvious answer, but I find it interesting how some writers, really terrific ones with awesome fanbases, are tired of ceding control to NY. I say go for it. It seems good writing will tell in the end, and with a name like Connie Brockway I can't see her having bad sales at all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...