Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Egypt and Greco-Roman Art, Mystery, Adventure and Romance

Posted by: Ruth A Casie

Years ago I traveled overseas for business and was gone for two weeks at a time. I traveled alone and kept my suitcase filled with paperback books. It was the perfect way to spend the evening after finishing up my reports and preparing for the next city.

On the long trip from New York to Egypt I consumed a romance mystery novel, The Mummy. It wasn't the classic story, definitely a romance. I wish I could remember the author. I do remember the story taking place in the 1920's. When I got to Cairo I stepped back in time. I walked through the Cairo Museum, a smallish building, that was filled to overflowing with mummies and sarcophagi. I took the obligatory trip to the Sphinx and Pyramids.

On a drive through the desert to Alexandria with my Egyptian colleague I saw sand dunes as large as mountains and in the distance large tanker ships that seemed to float through the desert. They were going through the Suez Canal. Business-wise the trip was a success. Personally, I reread my book as I experienced Egypt. It was more wonderful the second time.

When I returned home I once again scoured my local bookstore (we had them then) for something new. I found Elizabeth Peters. She's become one of my favorite authors. She writes about Amelia Peabody, a Victorian woman deeply in love with her husband, archeologist Lord Radcliffe Emerson, her son, Ramses, and Egypt. The stories are filled with mystery, adventure, romance and Egypt.

You can find out more about Lady Amelia in a post by Shelley Noble wrote a while ago as well as on Amelia Peabody's own website.

I know some of you write about Egypt, Greece and Rome. Tell me about them.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Impossible by Loretta Chase is a favourite historical romance of mine which is set in Egypt during Victorian times.
    As You Desire by Connie Brockway is likewise set in Egypt during the Victorian craze for all thing Egyptian.
    Heart of the Falcon by Suzanne Robinson is set during the time of the Pharaohs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write the Gods of Egypt series, paranormal romances set in 1550 BCE. Started with Priestess of the Nile, then Warrior of the Nile, followed by Dancer of the....(you get the idea LOL) and Magic of....working on Ghost of the Nile now. I too loved the Elizabeth Peters books!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...