Thursday, January 6, 2022

Wishing Everyone a Happy (and Productive) New Year

Posted by: Nicole Luiken

 Okay, so the productive part is mostly aimed at myself. I wasted FAR TOO MUCH time doomscrolling last year. The pandemic is still hanging around, but I am determined to keep my fingers type-typing away this year.

My ideas have always outstripped my ability to turn them into novels. In some ways this is good--it means the ideas that make it into novels are generally the best-of-the-bunch--but it's frustrating when I have a new idea that I love which I know I won't have time to write for literally years. So, I'd like to improve the ratio and that means being more productive. 

My normal drafting pace is around a 1000 words/day. Which was a perfectly adequate word count when I had toddlers to look after or a job, but I ought to be able to do better now. So I've started a new strategy. Basically, instead of trying to hit a word count (and then usually quitting for the day if I make it) I'm going to aim for writing for two or three hours a day. Actual writing time, not me writing a hundred words then goofing off on social media. I'm too cheap to shell out for a program that bars me from social media like Freedom so I'm using the Alarm Clock function on my computer. Once ever hour I set a 30 minute timer during which I am not allowed to open my browser but must remain in my word processor program.

So far this is really working for me! I've hit over 2000 words each day this week, which for me is a terrific day. 

The lurking worm in my bowl of soup is that I started a new novel on Monday and I know from experience that my writing always goes smoother during this first "honeymoon" phase. I won't truly know how my timer method is working until I hit the inevitable snag/vague bit in my outline. In the meantime I'm going to get in all the words that I can.

Tally ho!

Wishing you all the very best New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...