Thursday, November 4, 2021

November = Nanowrimo!

Posted by: Nicole Luiken

 NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month and is a long-going event where writers try to write the first draft of a 50,000 word novel. There are some loose rules (the novel should be a new project, starting on page one), but since there are no prizes beyond the satisfaction of getting some writing done in great company, many of us don't feel compelled to follow them.

I have participated in NaNoWriMo many times in the past, sometimes successfully, often not, but I've always had fun doing it.

This year I'm trying to work on a Project B. What does this mean? I have a hard quota for editing one scene in my novel Impersonating the Princess per day. That's my Project A and my priority. However, I'm also trying to get another novel Little Mansion in the Jurassic (premise: A corrupt billionaire decides to ride out the apocalypse in his vacation home on a parallel Earth/Jurassic. Things go wrong) off the ground during the time that I usually waste on Twitter and solitaire. While I very much doubt that I will hit 50K, 20K seems doable and very worthwhile. Plus, the years when I don't do NaNoWriMo I tend to feel left out.

The last time I tried a Project A, Project B approach I got a measly 4000 words done on Project B, however I feel more optimistic this time since I have a better outline to work from. Only time will tell.

Back to the word mines!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...