Thursday, February 13, 2020

When it's Time for "Netflix and Chill"

Posted by: Deborah A Bailey
There are times when I like nothing better than getting lost in a new movie or series. Not only is it a break away from working in my day job (or on a story idea) but it's also relaxing as well.

Then again, I've lost count of how many times I was hoping to not think about my WIP for a while, and ended up with an idea. Sometimes that thing you're stuck on can come to you when you're trying to figure out a twist in a thriller. Or, when you're hoping the lovers will finally get back together before the end credits roll.

So, it's not really procrastinating, it's stimulating your creativity (at least that's how it's worked for me)! Here are some of the series in my Netflix queue at the moment:

Troy – Fall of a City 

Entertaining re-telling of the epic without being boring or predictable (because, if you’re familiar with the Iliad or the Odyssey, you know how it ends). Surprisingly modern with inclusive casting and new twists on the characters. The settings and costumes give the series a sometimes scruffy (and real) feeling.

The Stranger 

I'd first heard about this series on Twitter, then it popped up when I logged into Netflix (the video auto-play can be a good thing at times, it seems). Based on a book by, Harlan Coben, it twists and turns and reveals a bit here and there about the characters. Starting off with a husband's seemingly perfect life being shattered when a stranger tells him a secret about his wife, events spiral from then on.

I love stories with twists, and this one kept me up past midnight on a Sunday night. (Let's just say I did a lot of yawning on Monday.)

The Ghost Bride 

A paranormal about a girl who has been asked to be the bride of a recently deceased, heir to a fortune. It even has a "meet cute" between her and a heavenly guard, along with some dramatic and amusing moments. Ultimately, she'll have to help solve the mystery of who killed the heir, and there are quite a few suspects. I'm halfway through this one, and I'm anxious to see how it unfolds.

The Witcher 

I haven't started this one yet, but I've seen several interesting scenes on Twitter featuring Henry Cavill (one of the cast) without his shirt. So, I'm going to be sure to get to this one ASAP.

Luna Nera 

Just finished this after binge watching last weekend. It has everything – witches in 17th century Italy, a chosen one, and a mysterious organization that wants access to their magic. Lots of action, including witches who carry swords and free other women wrongly accused of witchcraft.

So far, I don't know if Netflix is giving this a second season, but I certainly hope so. The first season wraps up a major storyline, while leaving the door open for some other developments.

 I Am Dragon 

Not a Netflix movie, but if you have Amazon Prime, it was (for a time) available to members without the rental charge. Based on a Russian tale, this one has a dragon shifter, a very adventurous heroine and nice special effects. They don't have a "meet cute," but I was certainly rooting for them to get their HEA.

 Have any favorites that you've been watching lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...