Wednesday, September 5, 2018

4 Stories that Stuck with Me

Posted by: Maureen
I’ve read too many books to count over my lifetime, and the list keeps growing. I’ve picked up some books and then realized I
already read them before. It wasn’t that the book wasn’t good, or the title wasn’t memorable, it’s just that I’ve read so many. I immerse myself in that world while I read it and then move on to the next.

But there are some books that lingered in my mind for years after I finished. Something about the book, a character, or another tidbit of their fictional world altered my reality a little. 

Twilight


A friend recommended Twilight by Stephenie Meyer long before the stories became all the rage and the movies that followed. I admit, I was skeptical. I’d only enjoyed a few vampire books previously and Salem’s Lot (Stephen King) and Interview with the Vampire (Anne Rice) and neither seemed anything like this story, but I needed a good beach read. 

I can’t say exactly what it was about the story that pulled me in and left me desperate for the second book. Unfortunately, this was before I had a kindle and I was left plotting for somewhere to stop on the way home from vacation to buy the next book. 

When I find a new author that I enjoy, I seek out their website and interviews to learn more about them and their books. I discovered the playlist the author used for writing the Twilight books, and with that, I found a new band to enjoy, Muse. Now when I hear their songs, I wonder if certain ones inspired a scene for the stories.

The Stand


I love Stephen King’s books. I’ve mentioned the character, Randall Flagg, before and how I’ve never looked at a crow the same way again. The Stand is the only book I read more than once, even if the second one was the extended version. Besides the fear of a villain taking the form of a bird to stalk me, the story was written with such detail that it, and the characters within it, lived on in my mind. 


The Hollows


Kim Harrison’s books ignited my love for Urban Fantasy. The snark, the first person POV had me hooked and inspired me to pursue writing in first person POV myself.

Little House on the Prairie


My mother read the books from the Little House on the Prairie to my sister and I before I could read them for myself. This spawned my love of reading, my obsession with the television show that came later (that I’ll still watch if I see that it’s on) and my desire in fourth grade to learn to play the fiddle (that didn’t happen). 

 

What Books Have Lived on Long After the Last Page for You?


P.S. There’s still time to enter the All Things Magical Giveaway. Check it out right here. 


Author Bio: Maureen Bonatch grew up in small town Pennsylvania and her love of the four
seasons—hockey, biking, sweat pants and hibernation—keeps her there. While immersed in writing or reading paranormal romance and fantasy, she survives on caffeine, wine, music, and laughter. A feisty Shih Tzu keeps her in line. Find Maureen on her websiteFacebookTwitter

Be the first to know about Maureen's new releases by following her on Amazon or BookBub

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...