Thursday, February 5, 2015

Don't Let Writing Endanger Your Health

Posted by: Linda Mooney
One thing I quickly discovered when I retired and became a "full time" author, was that my butt was stuck in the chair for long periods of time. And that, in a nutshell, can be a dangerous thing. Why? Because...

1. I'm not getting much exercise. Sorry, but going to the bathroom and to the kitchen is not considered exercise. Not enough, anyway.

2. I tend to nibble when I write. Or imbibe. My drink of choice is coffee. I try to stay away from bad snacks and eat only when I'm actually hungry. Or chew gum, but I've discovered gum literally melts when it comes in contact with a hot brew. Who knew?


3. I find myself staring at what I've written, or haven't written, without an idea or thought in my head.

What are the results of all this? Weight gain, loss of muscle tone, and writer's block.

What to do, what to do? 

Actually, I've discovered a few things that have helped me tremendously. And you don't have to be a writer to benefit. This will also do wonders for those of you who spend a lot of time at a desk.

1. Get out of the house and walk around the block. Or take a stroll around the office. Do it briskly enough, and you get the heart rate up. Live where the weather won't oblige? Dance to a favorite tune. Get jiggy with it! Or jump some rope. You'd be surprised what 5-10 minutes with a jump rope will do for you!

2. Watch what you're snacking on. Try something with protein in it, like yogurt or almonds. Need crunchy? Hit low fat no fat like pretzels or carrots. Just stay away as much from the sugar and carbs as possible. And if you imbibe, try not to go for the soft drinks.

3. To kick start the brain, go do something else. At home I'll hit the laundry, run an errand, wash the dishes - anything that'll get me off that creative treadmill that's taking me nowhere. At an office, stop and discuss something with a colleague. Do a crossword puzzle. Make a grocery list. Or just stare out a window for a few quiet minutes. Anything to clear your mind, sort of like a soft reboot.

Oh! And don't forget to take a day off every now and then. Even those of you with full time jobs outside the home get two days off, usually a weekend. Do the same if you're a writer. Every so often, take your creativity on vacation to let it recharge.

I've taken a hard look at my habits and lifestyle, and by making a few adjustments, I've managed to keep on track with my daily quota. Hopefully, one of these suggestions will work for you, too!

*************
Now Available!
Ghost of the Swamp
(Subwoofers, Book 2)
A Sensuously Erotic Contemporary Fantasy/Paranormal Romance

Coming February 15th
Qitirin
A Sensuously Erotic Contemporary Fantasy/Paranormal Romance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...