In the publishing world's furor du jour, some lady at some internet blowhard site has opined that adults who read YA should be ashamed of themselves because YA books have immature baby cooties. Earlier this week, I think (it happens all the weeks), there was someone opining that romance was what gave you the cooties, and also romance writers were fat awful women who mooched off of and mistreated their husbands with their obsessive hobbies and bad writing.
Today, I thought I'd share 10 things you should be more ashamed of reading than YA (or romance, come to think of it).
1) Internet blog comments sections (except for this blog, heh)
2) Your negative reviews (if you're an author) (and even if you're NOT ashmed of reading them, it's still slightly more shameful--meaning not very--than reading YA)
3) Diatribes about how much cats are horrible animals, unless it's meant in jest
4) Someone else's mail
5) The entire book in the bookstore, while breaking the spine, so you don't have to pay for it
6) Your ex's FB feed
7) The answers to the test you pried out of the teacher's locked drawer (or hacked computer account) before the test itself
8) Purchased term papers you intend to submit as your own or plagiarized books or internet content you intend to publish as your own. Though I guess it would be worse if you DIDN'T read them?? I don't know, but you should feel a lot more shame when you read these things than when you read YA, genre fiction, etc.
9) The crochet pattern, or other how-to instructions, after you have completely fubar'd the item you're trying to make. Granted, the shame here comes from not reading the how-to FIRST...but still.
10) Blogs, Twitter, FB, Wikipedia, Tumblr, random websites, and so on when you're supposed to be working on your damned novel or being otherwise productive! (except for this blog, heh)
Join in, everyone. List some more in the comments!!! (The comments you do not have to be ashamed to read because I said it was okay.)
Author, Cat Person, Amigurumist of the Apocalypse
http://www.jodywallace.com * http://www.meankitty.com
Friday, June 6, 2014
10 Things You Should Be More Ashamed of Reading Than YA
Posted by: Jody W. and Meankitty
About us: I'm the world famous Meankitty who lives with Typing Slave (Jody Wallace), Food Slave, Pink Thing, Loud Thing, and Big D (another cat). Typing Slave is a published author who's supposed to be at my beck and meow, but instead she sits in front of the computer muttering to herself. This is our shared blog to discuss her career and the mean things I do to her to maintain my status in the SOHC (Society of House Cats) as well as assorted musings and felinious advice.