Friday, October 26, 2012

Symptoms of the problem

Posted by: Shawna Thomas

Life has been wonderful but very, very busy lately.

I have four books in various stages of the publishing process. This is a wonderful, fabulous situation in which to find oneself. If I could hole up in a deserted cabin in the woods, writing and editing to my little hearts content, this wouldn’t even be challenging. But how many authors do you know who can do that? Not this one. 

And if I had known I’d give birth to the baby-who-does-not-sleep, I might have requested a slightly more relaxed schedule. But I didn’t. So like most of you, I spend my days juggling work, children, housework, husband and the work we love: Writing.  So for those who have tried to carry on a conversation with me either in person or via email/twitter/facebook. For those of you who are still waiting for returned phone calls or RSVPs... I apologize. Things should return to somewhat normal in March.  I think.

Until then, here are five signs you can tell I’m deep in edits.

1.       I just about disappear from Twitter, author loops and Facebook. In those rare appearances, you’ll see I’ve tweeted, replied or posted from my phone. I do this while I’m nursing. That’s multi-tasking, folks. And also, don’t worry about the typos—those little keyboards with said baby trying to grab phone out of your hands— it can’t be helped. Oh and phone calls. I’m so sorry Aunt Stacie. Yes I’m alive. Yes I love you but no, I honestly don’t have time for a ten minute conversation right now.

2.       I carry around a notebook with me wherever I go to write down any pure-genius solutions to plot/character arc problems. Of course this is pretty standard. I’ve also forgotten pure-genius book ideas because I didn’t have anywhere to write them down...or was just too tired to get out of bed. The muse has a pretty acerbic sense of humor you know.

3.       If mutter to myself or walk around as though I am in a different world, talking to people you can’t see. . I am. Don’t worry, I’ll be back. The best thing to do is just walk away.

4.       My laundry has begun to reproduce. My nemesis, the laundry basket. Granted laundry for seven isn’t for the weak of heart, but we every room has its own laundry basket and five overflowing laundry baskets in the blink of an eye? Me thinks something nefarious is afoot!

5.       Dinner consists of whatever I can find in the refrigerator/freezer/pantry that takes less than thirty minutes to whip up. It’s a good thing my kids like grilled cheese, hot dogs or frozen pizza. 



And there you have it. So what are some things you do, or don't do, when you have a lot on your plate? PS: Here's a peek at my new cover!







12 comments:

  1. You're holding up amazingly well under all that! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I managed to write at all when my girls were that age so kudos to you! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Veronica. I was going for tongue in cheek but it's hard to tell sometimes if you hit that particular nail. ; )

      Delete
  3. I don't think I could handle everything that's on your plate, Shawna. We share the same nemesis though. Darn evil laundry. :)

    I can't wait to read "Journey of Awakening"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost took a picture of my laundry basket... but decided that was just too much information to share. ; )

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine trying to do this with a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a baby-who-would-not-sleep unless he was being held. What saved me was the mobywrap. I passed it on to my sister. It's on child #4 now.

    Looking forward to Journey of Awakening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often thought she was a perfect candidate for a wrap. I'm not sure why we didn't buy one.

      Delete
  6. Shawna, you don't need to write an amazing heroine, you're her!

    The cover for Journey of Awakening is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny. LOL I'm not sure how good it would translate to print. ; ) I love the cover. The artists at Carina are the best!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...