Friday, March 2, 2012

Meet the Here Be Magic Authors - David Bridger

Posted by: Veronica Scott

We're starting a new feature at Here Be Magic - periodic interviews with the Authors who create the magic. Our first interviewee is David Bridger, whose most recent book is Quarter Square (Wild Times Book 1)
Tell us a little about yourself:
I settled with my family and our two monstrous hounds in England's West Country after twenty years of ocean-based fun, during which I worked as a lifeguard, a sailor, an intelligence gatherer and an investigator. I write science fiction and fantasy novels, and my favourite way of doing nothing is a quiet afternoon sailing on the River Tamar while stormy characters stomp through my mind.
What prompted you to start writing?
I joined the Royal Navy straight from school and always knew I'd learn how to write novels when I retired from the sea. That happened earlier than I expected when I was badly hurt in my thirties, but faced with the prospect of spending a chunk of time recovering movement then mobility I saw no reason to change the plan. So while I was getting back on my feet over the next twelve years I also served an apprenticeship as a novelist.
What’s your writing process? Where do you write?
I'm self-disciplined and can be quite driven. I like to set goals and work to a deadline. I take the time to write a good first draft, which means it isn't a quick process but once I finish I know I won't be faced with an enormous editing task. I still work hard on the editing and polishing, but on the single occasion when I experimented with fast-drafting a novel the huge editing job it required afterwards made me feel like I was writing the thing twice. So there'll be no more of that. I can think about a story for weeks before sitting down to write it. I live with the characters and their situations inside my head until the story demands I write it. Then I sit at my Mac, in my study with only the waterfall in my aquarium disturbing the silence, and I get to work.
How do you celebrate when you finish a novel?
I often reward myself with a new dvd box set and watch it intensely over a few days. So far I've celebrated that way with Firefly, Deadwood, The Godfather, Smiley's People, the Star Trek movies and Twin Peaks series 1 & 2.
Do you do a lot of research for your books?
Yes. I've learned to do it more efficiently these days. When I started I immersed myself in research for months on end before writing the story, and although I enjoyed it immensely much of it proved unnecessary. Now I pause to research what I need when I need it.
Favorite Movie: Blade Runner
Favorite Flower: Tulip
Tea or coffee: Coffee
Boxers or Briefs: Boxers
Favorite time of the year: Summer
Favorite song: Carly Simon's Coming Around Again/Itsy Bitsy Spider at Martha's Vineyard in 1987 http://youtu.be/q9cidpLcPgA

Finish this sentence: “I believe in the Magic of .... every kind of Love”
What are you working on next?
Wild Times Books 2 & 3 and a co-authored cyberpunk crime thriller
Where can your Readers find you online?
Buy Link for Quarter Square:
What one question do you want to ask your Readers today?
If you could either do something great for the world or have a great love in your life, which would you choose, and why?

11 comments:

  1. Great interview! David, you've led such an interesting life. Can't wait to read more of your stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Carolyn! Quarter Square's sequel is in the pipeline. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful interview David I love that you reward yourself after finishing a novel and I particularly enjoyed the way you ended the 'I believe in the magic...' sentence. I think I'm going to reward myself this weekend with Quarter Square! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Sonya! I hope you enjoy Quarter Square. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, it was nice to finally see a picture after getting to know you on line. I think writing is a wonderful retirement plan, and will be looking forward to the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay so I'm gonna answer the question. Tough choice, and I know I should say do something great for the world, but I'd rather have a great love in my life. A great love, whether it be a person or profession or whatever, just makes every day worth living. Love is all you need, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janni, I like David's question, too. Makes me wonder...can you inadvertently do something great for the world, or does "greatness" come out of pursuing what you love?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Janni and Jenny. I think living with a great love in one's life can do something great for the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice interview! I think I'm jaded. Since I haven't had a great love thus far and therefore don't know what I'm missing, I'll settle with doing something great for the world.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...