Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Rereads, Trusted Authors and New Authors

Posted by: Nicole Luiken

I’ve been doing a lot of binge rereading of my favourite series lately, and I’ve been trying to figure out why.
I have eight books on my To Be Read shelf right now, so why is it so much easier to pick up an old favourite than a new book, which ought to be more interesting since I don’t know the plot by heart?
What I think it comes down to is a guarantee. I know that if I reread a book that I love that I will enjoy it. Some days I don’t have the energy for uncertainty. I need the comfort of the guarantee.
Next best is reading a new book by a trusted author. Dark Queen by Faith Hunter, Artificial Condition by Martha Wells and Planet Dragos all release this month. As soon as I purchase my copy, they will shoot to the top of my TBR pile and I will crack them open with a smile.
However, right now my TBR pile is rather more lack-luster. Three new-to-me authors, one author whose books I usually like but who disappointed me last time out, and four authors that I’ve only read one or two books by and thus don’t fully trust yet.
I simultaneously yearn for the joy of discovering a great new author whose backlist I can then glom (current gloms: Jennifer Estep and Peter Brett), and dread the possible disappointment. Statistically, about half the new authors I try prove to be not to my taste.
The math then is simple:
Reread a favourite book = 100% guaranteed enjoyment
Trusted author = 90% probability of a good read
Liked one or two books by this author = 65% probability of a good read
New-to-me author = 50% chance of a bad read
What about you? How often do you reread? How frequently do you try new authors?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...