Friday, June 30, 2017

What Can You Learn About Relationships On A Motorcycle

Posted by: Maureen

by Maureen L. Bonatch

I often refer to myself as a backseat-biker. My hubby controls the over 800 lb. sexy, metal beast while I sit on the back clinging to my hero. Last week my hubby and I made our yearly trek to attend Thunder in the Valley. One of Pennsylvania’s largest biker rallies known to attract over 200,000
One of my photos from Thunder in the Valley
bikers.

There’s a certain peace when you’re riding on the open road outside of the confinement of a vehicle. You see the world from a totally different up-close and personal perspective. 

As a writer, it’s always been a great way for me to work through a story. But this ride, while hugging my hero as we passed a multitude of other bikers with many toting their own heroine, I contemplated about how biking compares to the essentials of a relationship.

More Than Skin Deep

You have to look further than skin deep in a relationship. Just like there’s more to the stereotypical bad boy biker than what is on the outside. You know the loud, leather-wearing, tattooed, sexy, confident men that straddle the back of those metal beasts that the heroine loves to ride off into the sunset with? 

I’m not judging–lucky for me I have my own ‘bad boy biker’ and it came as no surprise to me to find that
in my book, DESTINY CALLING (on sale for 99 cents for a limited time), my Bad Boy happens to be a biker who despite/because of his bad boy persona, my heroine has a hard time resisting.

The outside appearance might draw you in, but it takes more than that to maintain and grow a relationship. But if you look a little closer at most bikers you’ll find many groups participate in fundraising/charity rides, support military, retirees or simply enjoy motorcycles as a social group.

It Takes Teamwork

As with any relationship, it only works well if it’s not one-sided. Even though you may ride in silence with only the company of your thoughts, there is a non-verbal communication occurring on a motorcycle. No words need to be spoken as you rely upon body language to lean together to take the twists and turns of the road.

There’s a certain comradely that comes from riding a motorcycle, a sense of community and connectedness with other bikers that you don’t share when you’re in a vehicle. Kind of like when you find that special person who you feel an instant, intense connection.

Trust

Don't be fooled- I'm getting on the back
Most bikers have a special bond with their motorcycle. When I didn’t ride, I used to be a tad jealous of my hubby’s love for her–his motorcycle. (I wrote about that here. ) I didn’t ride for many reasons, but one of the big reasons—which is the same with any relationship—was the fear of getting hurt.

When you’re riding a motorcycle you have to be much more alert to the scenery (wildlife, rocks, potholes, water) and other vehicles. Just like a relationship, one of the most important things necessary in order to relax and enjoy the ride, is that you have to trust your partner.

Did You Know About the “Biker Wave”

Biking seems like a solitary endeavor, and it is in many ways, but usually you wave when you pass another motorcycle. Even though the most likely a complete stranger, you feel compelled to greet them like a friend. The wave is a variation of two fingers pointed parallel or down toward the ground, as if a symbol of peace. There are different assumptions behind the reason for the start of the “wave”.  Some stating it stems back from when motorcycles weren’t as common, others state it was a “biker necessity” when they saw Arthur Davidson wave to William Harley.


Author Bio: Maureen Bonatch grew up in small town Pennsylvania and her love of the four seasons—hockey, biking, sweat pants and hibernation—keeps her there. While immersed in writing or reading paranormal romance and fantasy, she survives on caffeine, wine, music, and laughter. A feisty Shih Tzu keeps her in line. Find Maureen on her websiteFacebookTwitter




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...