Sunday, November 10, 2013

Getting past burnout

Posted by: Sonya
I've just finished first round developmental edits for two different books back to back. I totally understand the need for edits and always strive to do my best. It's just not my favorite part of the creative process. I've also been trying to keep up with promoting my newest release, Trancehack. Promotion is something I don't have an instinct for, so I'm not always very good at it. But, like edits, it's necessary, so I do the best I can. All of this on top of each other has left me with a never-ending tension headache and a bad case of burnout. But I can't take too much time off. For one thing, there will be more rounds of edits over the coming weeks. A new book to start. And let's not even talk about the holidays, mmkay?

But my creative batteries desperately need a recharge. I've got a few scribbled, half-formed ideas for short stories that I was thinking of playing with for a week or two before I start the next book. Even if I finished something, probably not much would come from it, publication-wise. Just knowing that might actually be good to get the creative juices flowing. Writing without expectation can be freeing. So I'm going to open up that folder and see what I can come up with.

What do you do to get past burnout?


Sonya Clark grew up a military brat and now lives in Tennessee with her husband and daughter. She writes urban fantasy and paranormal romance with a heavy helping of magic and lots of music for inspiration. Her latest release is a futuristic paranormal romance titled Trancehack. Learn more at www.sonyaclark.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...