Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Win-A-Book Wednesday with...

Posted by: Jax Garren

Angela Korra'ti (and Highland)

The Author

The very first thing Angela ever wrote, at age 8, was a short story about a girl spirited away to rule over the leprechauns for a day. She progressed rapidly to pretending to take notes in class when she was actually writing novels, and writing fanfic before she had any idea what fanfic was! Music has been a part of her life almost as long, thanks to six years playing flute and piccolo in school band and an adulthood dabbling in flute, guitar, bouzouki, and mandolin. In anything she writes, music is likely to make an appearance.

Angela (Anna the Piper to her friends) lives in Kenmore, Washington, along with her partner and housemate, two cats, and a whole heck of a lot of computers and musical instruments. Despite the fact that she is a mild-mannered former employee of a major metropolitan newspaper, rumors that she is a superhero are exaggerated. (Even if she did pull the door off a refrigerator.)

Under the name of Angela Korra'ti, she writes the Free Court of Seattle series (Book 1, Faerie Blood, is available now). As Angela Highland, she writes the Rebels of Adalonia trilogy, now available from Carina Press. Valor of the Healer is available now, and Book 2, Vengeance of the Hunter, will be released in April of 2014.


Official website: angelahighland.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/angelahighlandauthor
Twitter: https://twitter.com/annathepiper


The Book

The Rook: An assassin hired by vengeful elven rebels to kill the calculating Duke of Shalridan, Julian walks into a trap and barely escapes with his life. Healed by a beautiful captive in the dungeons, he’s enthralled and vows to free her from the duke’s clutches.
The Hawk: A Knight of the Hawk duty-bound to cleanse elven magic from Adalonia, Kestar has a secret—and heretical—ability to sense the use of magic from afar. He knows something suspicious is happening in the duke’s keep, but he has no idea how deep the conspiracy goes.
The Dove: A half-elven healer with no control over her magic, Faanshi is the goddess’s to command. She’s always been a pawn of the powerful, but after healing two mysterious and very different men, she faces a choice that may decide the fate of the whole kingdom…
Valor of the Healer has roots that stretch clear back into my high school days, when I was hand-writing stories in class! The stories I wrote then eventually became the backstory for a tale I first worked on in 1998, when I wrote the first scene for a story I was at the time going to call Lone Hawk’s Flight. Then in 1999, I joined an online game called AetherMUSH, where I played the first incarnations of both Julian and Faanshi. In 2003, I started work on the very first draft of a novel called Lament of the Dove. And in 2012, the sixth draft of that novel got me my offer from Carina Press.

I’m very proud to now offer a copy of Valor of the Healer in EPUB or PDF format to this week's winner. Book 2 of the trilogy, Vengeance of the Hunter, will be coming out in April 2014. So now would be a really good time to read Book 1! Good luck to all who enter!

3 comments:

  1. Bonus question: What inspires you to write?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question!

      And all questions of "well, I DO like getting paid for my work" aside, I really do just like the process of creating a bunch of characters and then telling a story with them.

      Up in the post I mentioned that Julian and Faanshi, two of the viewpoint characters in this trilogy, started life as characters on an online roleplaying game. Playing them in real-time was huge fun, and the feel of that often carries over into my writing now. When I'm in a groove building a story, it feels a lot like the characters are just roleplaying the whole thing out in my head, and all I have to do is just transcribe what they're doing. I love it when that happens. :D

      Delete
  2. I really need to get around to picking this one up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...