1. Books - because we wouldn't be writers if we didn't love books. Books in our genre, books in other genres, fiction or non-fiction, hardback, mass market paperback, trade paperback, digital, books for entertainment, books for reference and research, books to make us jealous and strive to be a better writer, books that soothe, books that challenge, books that make us say why didn't I think of that, books, books, books!
2. Office supplies - because we never have enough post-it notes, or pens, or printer paper, or ink, or notebooks, or those little flag thingies you use to mark pages in reference books, or, well, anything. We always need more.
3. Booze - because our lives are full of rejection, financial and professional insecurity, having to read about semi-literate celebrities getting seven figure book deals, and yet more rejection. And also because eggnog is really super tasty with a shot of peppermint schnapps. :)
4. A literary agent - this one is just for those of us who don't have one.
5. Readers - the main thing we want is for readers to buy our books. For themselves, for their friends and family, our latest release, our entire backlist. The main thing we want, the people we do this for, is readers.
Any other gift ideas for writers? Tell me, writer friends, what do *you* want for the holidays?