Sunday, February 10, 2013

Inspired by Television

Posted by: Jax Garren

I’ve been on a Supernatural kick lately. My main question is, HOW DID I MISS THIS SHOW FOR SO MANY YEARS?? I just started season 3 and it’s like crack. I want my own Dean Winchester. And I want his car. But mostly I want that Colt revolver that opens a hellmouth Devil’s gate. Because…awesome.

Okay, mostly I want Dean. Please don't tell my husband. ;)

It’s gotten me thinking about all the TV that I am indebted to for inspiring my writing. I love television more than movies. Not more than books, but in a different way I might actually like it as much. Heresy, I know. I love TV for its ability to take me on a long journey with characters over years, but given in little increments. Episodic is quite possibly my favorite story-form, and books rarely do it as well as TV. So this post is for the most important TV that has inspired my writing career. We’ll start waaaaay back.

Back in third grade, Duke was one of my early crushes. He was handsome, brave, suave and had the love of a gorgeous, kickass redhead. Watching the on-again-off-again love story between Scarlett  and Duke kept 8-year-old me riveted far more than the stable relationship of Lady Jaye and Flint. Apparently romance writing has been my calling from a young age. I think the real reason GI Joe appealed to me was because women kept up with the men in a dangerous environment, kicking butt without every calling their femininity into question. Back then Barbie’s slogan was “We girls can do anything, right Barbie?” and GI Joe proved it!

My family had one night a week where we’d watch TV with dinner, and for a few years this was our show. Picard was a badass. I thought Riker was cute until he grew a beard. And I never got over the loss of Tasha Yar. I was blond as a kid (I have that type of blond that gets darker every year), and seeing a blond woman in a position of strength was new to me. I never warmed up to the other female characters on the show—Troi outright annoyed me, and the others I mostly found blah—but Tasha was something special to my young self, a woman who looked like me but was tough and didn’t pull her punches.

My sister and I used to watch reruns of this at night during the summers. I loved all the different settings and the strange friendship between Sam and Al, his holographic best friend. I loved the character interactions and watching Sam repeatedly thrust into a strange situation. Sam helped define a hero for me. He may have started out helping others to get home, but, at least in my perception, it wasn’t long before he was helping right situations just to make it right.

Like a large chunk of paranormal writers, this TV series changed the way I write. Joss Whedon’s unique blend of witty dialog, heart-wrenching moments and hope in the face of disaster is still my go-to show on a crazy day when I need something that will just make me happy. My favorite thing about this show is the way it looks at serious issues through a humorous lens…and can also turn humor into tragedy at a moment’s notice.  Plus, you gotta love these strong female characters

Yeah, I’m a Whedonite. The way this show blended genres so seamlessly into something new and awesome helped open my mind to new possibilities. A space western? Why not? The characters are lovely and so well rounded. The dialog is snappy and fun. Firefly’s eleven episode run is, in my opinion, quite possibly the greatest loss of potential in television.

Now…
Other than Supernatural, my husband and I recently discovered Doctor Who and are currently making our way through the David Tennant seasons. We also watch Castle which, I have to admit, is as much for Nathan Fillion as anything else! What are some of your favorite television shows for inspiration or just for fun?

10 comments:

  1. Excellent choice of programming - I like your choices LOL. I was also inspired by Robin Hood, pirate movies, Flash Gordon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I love Robin Hood! I've sadly never seen Flash Gordon (although one of my friends dragged me to a showing of Flesh Gordon back in college...but that's another story...)

      Delete
  2. Babylon 5, not so much season one which was too episodic for my tastes, but season 3 and 4 were awesome. Each episode still made sense but contributed to the larger story arc beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen Babylon 5! That was one of those shows I knew I'd like if I tried but couldn't find the extra hour in the week to watch. Maybe one day I'll Netflix it. :)

      Delete
  3. Great list Jax! My latest inspirational TV series are Dr. Who, Lost Girl, Fringe (which sadly just ended) and TWD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Dean, too. And Sam...heck, I was just like you when I discovered the show a couple of years ago.

    Now, I've moved on to Downton Abbey - a different kind of sci-fi. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen them all except Firefly. I think my favorite was Buffy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This list (except for Star Trek) and then some for me. I, too, just discovered Dr. Who. Been obsessed with Supernatural since it first aired. And The X-Files. And The Walking Dead. And True Blood. And...basically, I have no life since I watch so much television!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Ohh, I LOVED Firefly! It should've never been canceled! And Buffy...fantastic kick-butt heroine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whedonites represent! Love me some Buffy, love me some Firefly.

    Also a mad passionate fan of the Doctor (both Classic and New Doctor), of Battlestar Galactica, and of Castle. Castle and the Doctor are about all I have spare TV bandwidth for right now--but I've got Lost Girl AND Republic of Doyle coming across my radar. Particularly Republic of Doyle, since it's a detective show set in St. John's in Newfoundland, and I've got a Newfoundlander in one of my books. So I can call it research. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...