Thursday, May 9, 2024

Three Series I've Fallen in Love With

Posted by: Nicole Luiken

 It's May, and I've read about 70 books this year (not counting rereads). I thought I might share some finds.

In the order that I discovered them, here are three series that I began this year, fell in love with and rushed to buy more of:

1/ Emily Wilde's Encyclopedia of Faerie by Heather Wilde

Set in Iceland. Emily Wilde is an academic professor of folklore doing research on the fae of Iceland in a remote village. At first she rubs the villagers the wrong way and is extremely annoyed when fellow academic, Wendell, shows up. Rivals are always fun--and then the plot twist hits: Emily suspects that Wendell himself is a fae pretending to be human. 

I loved the building relationships in this one, both between Emily and the villagers and herself and Wendell, and how this time the woman was the grumpy one and the male love interest more sunshiny.

As soon as I finished I went out and bought book two Emily Wilde's Map of the Otherlands, which was just as good. There should be a third book out next year!




2/ Gilded and sequel Cursed by Marissa Meyer

 

It's a good thing both books in this duology are out, because book one ended on a cliffhanger.

This is a retelling of Rumpelstiltskin, with the miller's daughter as the main character, but it's all mixed in with fae and the Wild Hunt. The Erlking is the best villain I've run across in a while. He has his own goals and sinister plans and he always seems to be one step ahead of Serilda. I also loved the reveal about Serilda's backstory.




3/ The Fire in the Glass by Jacquelyn Benson

This series (The London Charismatics) has so much going for it! Set in 1914 London it has mystery, a very satisfying romantic subplot and people with fascinating psychic powers. The main character, Lily, sees visions of the future, but has always in the past failed to prevent what she's seen. She's sworn to stop trying--until she sees her friend, Estelle (a medium) killed. Strangford, the psychometric, made for a swoony love interest, and Sam Wu's ability to  talk to  animals was fascinating.

The series is complete. I binge-read the next three books and will probably go on to the last one soon.



What series have you fallen in love lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...