Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Everything You Need to Know

Posted by: R.L. Naquin
Recently, someone asked me an interesting question in an interview. She asked if there were any characters in my new book, Fairies in My Fireplace, I wish I could have given more page time to.

The answer, of course, is there are always characters I wish I could spend more time on, but the story has to keep moving forward. I can’t cram everybody’s backstory into every book.

But it was far more complicated and on a much larger scale in this particular book.

Fairies has a cast of hundreds. How long will you be willing to read if I stop every few paragraphs and tell you somebody’s history? Considering there’s a harpy on the roof, a chupacabra hanging upside down from the living room curtains, a family of gnomes under the back porch, a herd of dust devils blowing down the hall, two water sprites in the bathroom sink, and a mange-infested hellhound stashed in the garage, all in the first chapter, I don’t think I’d have even the most devoted of readers left by the end of chapter two.

Do I know these creature’s stories? Of course I do. I’m the Writer God of Monster Haven. I know all. That is, until I’m writing the next book and some creature I wasn’t expecting pops up out of nowhere with a completely new twist I’m not prepared for.

If I lived a thousand lives, I don’t think I could tell you all the stories flying through my head. But I shouldn’t try. Not all of them are interesting. My job isn’t to tell you everything. My job is to tell you what you need to know for the story to keep moving. My job is to keep you entertained enough to keep reading. And yes, my job is also to hold a little something back for later.

I want you to come back, you see. I still have three more books left in Zoey’s story.
We’re only halfway there.

I have so much more to tell you.

Rachel's head is packed with an outrageous amount of useless Disney trivia. She is terrified of thunder, but not of lightning, and sometimes recites the Disneyland dedication speech during storms to keep herself calm. She finds it appalling that nobody from Disney has called yet with her castle move-in date.

Originally from Northern California, she has a tendency to move every few years, resulting in a total of seven different states and a six-year stint in England. Currently, she's planning her next grand adventure. Rachel has one heroic husband, two genius kids, a crazy-catlady starter kit, and an imaginary dog named Waffles.

She doesn't have time for a real dog.


Sign up for her newsletter for news, extras, and exclusive stuff: Newsletter
Hang out with her here: Website Blog Facebook Twitter

Buy her books here:  Amazon B&N Carina Press

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...