Friday, July 13, 2012

What’s in a name?

Posted by: Shona Husk
I always have my baby name book handy when I start plotting. Sometimes I know what my characters are called straight away, other times it’s more of a vague feeling. In my Sex with Strings series I had to pick two names, or more, for the vampire guys. The vampire’s real name, the name they currently used, then their stage name. 
Vampire rock stars have stage names so they can disappear more easily from the spotlight when people start to realize they aren’t aging. ;)

The picking of stage names was actually a lot of fun.

Phoenix for the guy who was burning his relationship to the ground and starting again.

Thanatos for the vamp who couldn’t feel any sensation and was trapped in his own body.

Sirius, the brightest and best, yet he always stepped aside for the flashy showman who is Absinthe.


Absinthe got his name because of his unnaturally green eyes.

To celebrate the release of Enchanting Absinthe today (yay!) I’m going to give away the first three novellas in the series, Kissing Phoenix, Tasting Thanatos and Sharing Sirius, all you have to do is tell me what your stage name would be.

Winner will be drawn by random on Monday the 15 July 7pm WST

10 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the post! I have an extra challenge, picking Ancient Egyptian names LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busty LaRue. I've always pictured myself as an aging burlesque dancer.


    - Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amethyst. I wanted to name my daughter this, but was overruled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun post. Picking names is a challenge...it just might make or break a story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Release Day, Shona!! Love the covers. :)
    I like how you pick their names based on the qualities they possess.
    I picked one with that thought in mind....Etana, it means dedication and strength. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Release Day ! I like to base my names on the Characters themselves and there personalities those dark and dangerous deserve a name just like that or just saying there name you mean business and won't rebuke them and a name that will flow right over your tongue which leaves you daydreaming about them......

    ReplyDelete
  7. A heart-numbing fiancé can't be a good thing. Great six and good luck with your release day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The winner (via random.org) of Enchanting Absinthe is Tina B!
    Thank you to everyone who left a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, Shona!! I am excited to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...