Sunday, February 12, 2012

I Wish You Magic

Posted by: Seleste deLaney/Julie Particka
Valentine's Day is Tuesday. I'm not a big believer in the holiday just because I think romance should happen everyday and Valentine's is just a day for couples to spend money they don't necessarily have and single people to feel bad. But... sometimes people get that it isn't about the flowers, or the chocolate, or the jewelry, it's about doing something more magical than you do for someone you love the rest of the year. This is especially true for couples who have been together for a long time.

You see, when people first fall in love, it's (if you're lucky) a little like it is in romance novels. Sparks fly. You dream about their eyes, their smile, the feel of their hand in yours... their mouth on yours. You spend so much time thinking about this new person that when the phone rings and it's them, a tiny part of you believes that they felt your thoughts. New love haunts you. It seeps into your very pores and makes you carry yourself differently. It makes you smile more. Laugh more. And if it's with a person who really clicks with you on multiple levels, you might wonder if they were meant just for you or if you conjured them from thin air.

Every touch...
Every smile...
Every glance...
Every gesture...
Is a tiny piece of magic just for the two of you.



With familiarity though, we lose that. Days become jobs, and kids, and in-laws, and bills. No amount of flowers or chocolate can make up for that. Those things don't bring back the heat and passion of new love. And that's what most of us really want for Valentine's Day. We want the magic.

So my assignment to you this Valentine's Day is to spark some of that in your relationship. Try to let go of all the mundane stuff that clogs your world, and fall in love all over again. While the rest of the world spends money on things that don't matter, give the person you love something they'll remember--give them the gift of magic.



5 comments:

  1. I love this post, Seleste - I'm taking you up on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your feelings about Valentine's Day. Then again, Sweetie and I fell in love the week I turned fifteen, and he was seventeen, just graduated from high school. (Yes, our parents did go nuts over that!) So, we're kind of over that required gift giving deal.

    But, while I was making my cards for soldiers this morning, I made him one with a stamp I'd bought several months ago just for the occasion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post. And so, so true. A near tragic accident this past spring has me always enjoying the small things with my husband and makes me appreciate the mundane. While he was recovering, I fell in love with him all over again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...