Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Happy New Year/2023 Reading Recap

Posted by: Nicole Luiken

I know all the Best of 2023 lists came out last month, but I can never bring myself to do them in early December because what if I read a really terrific book after the post but before the end of the year and it gets missed? (Tragedy, I tell you, tragedy.)

So, instead of a Best of list, here are some of my reading highlights from 2023:


1/ The return of Kate Daniels! 2023 saw not one but two releases by Ilona Andrews in a new spinoff series, Kate Daniels the Wilmington years, which take place after the end of Magic Triumphs but before Julie's book. They were supposed to both be novellas, but the second one grew long enough to qualify as a short novel. It was so good to touch base with Kate and Curran again and see Conlan as a boy.

2/ A new fantasy release from Barbara Hambly, The Iron Princess. Hambly has been concentrating more on mystery for the last decade or so. Also, I discovered that she has a lot of novelettes featuring The Further Adventures of many beloved characters from her earlier series which were available on Kobo Plus. I indulged myself and read them all.

 

 

 

3/ I discovered two new science fiction authors that I enjoy: Ren Hutchings Under Fortunate Stars and J.S. Dewes The Divide series (two books out so far)

4/ A new DFZ series from Rachel Aaron, featuring a Changeling. These are high action, high stakes, set in a magical Detroit. Two books out so far and the final book releases Feb. 2.

5/ The Steelflower  series by Lilith Saintcrow. Epic fantasy with an mercenary/thief heroine who's good with a sword, plus the Fated Mates trope. I flat-out loved the reveal about her past and how it turned out to be different than she'd perceived herself. Three books so far and the author is currently serializing book four on her Patreon.

6/ Double books from Seanan McGuire in her fabulous October Daye urban fantasy series, Sleep No More and The Innocent Sleep, both picking up after the cliffhanger from the last book and giving us viewpoint from both Toby AND Tybalt.


7/ A new book in Sharon Shinn's Elemental Blessings series, Whispering Wood. After reading it, I went back and reread the previous four books.. I love the combination of fantasy with a romantic subplot.

And that's all I have time for now! What were your highlights of the previous year?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...