Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Using Planners to Track Writing Goals

Posted by: Deborah A Bailey

 When it comes to writing, it’s so easy to procrastinate. I’ll start when I have time, I’ll start after I've  taken that class, I’ll start after I: “fill in the blank.”  There’s always going to be another reason to delay.  

Over the years I’ve talked to many people who want to write. Usually as soon as someone learns that you're an author, they express their own desire to write. They feel they have a lot to say, yet they hesitate. What’s stopping them?

When it comes to my own writing, I’ve often asked myself the same question! Sure, there are times when life gets busy or other things come up. If you have health challenges or work and family responsibilities (or any other things to manage) finding time to write might seem like a luxury.

Now that we're only weeks away from a new year, it's easy to look back on what wasn't accomplished over the past months. But that's not helpful at all. So what's a better idea?

Lately I've been trying out planners to stay organized. Too often I end up writing down ideas on stray pieces of paper. Or writing a few things in the Notes app on my phone. That doesn't work because I usually end up forgetting all about those notes. 

Though I like the feel of using a pen on paper, I've been experimenting with digital planners as well. Both print and digital planners are extremely popular, so you'll have a huge selection to choose from. 

There are even YouTube channels where planner collectors will show off their latest planners and accessories. I'm not at that point yet - and most likely won't ever be. But you don't have to become a planner expert or be perfect at planning. When it comes to tracking ideas and publication dates, even a basic journal will do. Just do what works best for you. 

As far as print planners, lately I've been using the Passion Planner. They come in different sizes and include pages for personal development as well as tracking your schedule. 

For digital planning, two that I've been trying out are Goodnotes and Notability. You can use the templates included, or buy them (along with digital stickers). I'm not sure that an digital planner is the best for me just yet, though it would be handy. 

My hope is that with my print and digital planners, I can keep track of my writing and stick to deadlines. Of course procrastination doesn't completely go away. But if I can make planning fun, instead of being a chore, it will be a big help. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...