Thursday, November 17, 2022

Using Quotes in Your Book

Posted by: Deborah A Bailey

One of the things I enjoy is collecting quotes. I have a file of them that I've been keeping for years. And because I like quotes, I always use at least one for each book I publish.

 For me, the quotes reflect the theme of the story. They're not just for the reader, but for me as well. Sometimes, if I've picked one early enough, I keep it in mind as I write. But usually, I don't pick one until after the book is finished. I'd prefer to have the quote earlier in the process, if I can find one that I really like. If not, I add it at the end after editing is done.

When it came to working on two books in my Worlds of Fire romantic fantasy series, I decided on four quotes that described the theme of each book. 

For Blood Red Moon I decided to use three quotes for different sections of the book: the beginning, the middle and the climax. Throughout the book the heroine is evolving as she learns about her past (her memory was blocked by magic). The sections divide the parts of her journey from having no idea of her origins, to ultimately stepping into her power. 

1. "In Order to Rise from its Own Ashes, A Phoenix Must First Burn" – Octavia E Butler

Actually, this quote inspired me to write a book about a phoenix shifter. It says to me that we may have to go through certain trials and experiences in order to come into our own. Unfortunately, it often takes life lessons for us to realize what we're made of.

Avani, the heroine, and Derek, the hero, have no idea what they have to do in order to fulfill their destiny. Their city was destroyed before they received the teachings. In their new life together, they don't always make the best choices. At times it's because of fear of secrets being revealed, at others it's because they're still learning to trust each other.

2. "Don't You Know It Yet? It is Your Light that Lights the Worlds." – Rumi

I have a lot of Rumi quotes collected and this is one of my favorites. In the book it relates to how Avani must learn to accept herself. She's confused because she's forgotten her early life with Derek. She's in a new situation and isn't sure where she fits in. The key to her stepping into her power is for her to accept that she has it. And that is something I think that people in general can relate to.

3. "If You Surrendered to the Air, You Could Ride It." - Toni Morrison

This quote is from one of Morrison's novels and that story has nothing to do with mine. But I felt the quote was a fit because surrender is a key part of Avani's experience in the story. She has to stop fighting against her fears and her memories of what happened in the past. Also, she has to deal with the antagonist who is fighting against her and Derek. Ultimately she has to accept that she has the power to defeat him.

Overall, the theme of the book is about discovering who you are and stepping into your purpose. And it's also about the power of love since that's what reunites Derek and Avani (in spite of the forces that try to keep them apart).

For Metamorphosis I chose one quote from one of my favorite authors, bell hooks (her pen name is in lowercase).

"There is light in the darkness, you just have to find it."

This is another story about discovering your worth, but in this one Asira, the heroine, doesn't have to remember who she is. She already knows, except she thinks she doesn't have the freedom to make her own choices. 

However, a magical spell in the hands of a desperate classmate leads to her having to learn a few lessons. Luckily the hero, Jaydon, is on hand to assist, and together they team up to resolve the situation.

If you'd like to read more about the Worlds of Fire series, you can check it out here: https://authordebbailey.com/worlds-of-fire-series/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...