Thursday, March 12, 2020

Ways Authors Can Use Pinterest for Marketing and Inspiration

Posted by: Deborah A Bailey
You might not want to be on yet another social media platform, but Pinterest is worth checking out (if you're not already there).

Though I've been on the platform for a while, I wasn't doing very much pinning. Finally, I decided to go back and see if I could do more with it.

First, I created boards related to my books. Then I added boards based on popular Pinterest topics, like food, quotes and home décor. After that, I added boards that reflected my interests: science fiction, fantasy, writing and blogging.

Not only are the boards giving prospective readers (and other writers) a snapshot of who I am, but they’ve also helped me to connect with other Pinterest users.

Organic reach isn't what it used to be on most social media platforms. But, since Pinterest is a search engine, links from there will rank pretty high in Google searches.

Marketers say that someone has to have several touch points before they’re ready to buy (or even to click). Some say 7, others say 20 or more. So, that means you have to get your book in front of your prospective reader many times before they might click for more information.

Ideas for book-related boards:

  • Create boards based on your genre, your book series or individual books. 
  • Pin your book covers (with links back to an online store)
  • Start a board with images to use for inspiration (mood boards)
  • Pin images that you can use as references (I created a board about mythological gods and goddesses from around the world)
  • Collect motivational writing quotes and blog posts 

Because of my pinning, I’ve been asked to join a few group boards for writers and bloggers. Group boards will help your pins to be seen by even more people.

Remember I said Pinterest is a search engine? Well, that means when you search for various items on the platform, pins will show up in the results. Those pins also identify the pinner, so someone can find your pin (and you) when they’re searching for other things.

Pinterest has a lot of advantages for authors who are looking to market and to connect with other writers. Even better, book cover pins look great on the boards. What’s not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...