Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Reading Rules and Exceptions

Posted by: Nicole Luiken

Reading Rules and Exceptions was one of the #RomBkLove topics last month. I found reading about other people’s rules quite fascinating, so I’ve decided to share mine. Please note that I’m not trying to convince you to change your ways, just explaining  my own.
1/ If I’m not enjoying a book, it’s okay to quit. Time is short and not every book is for everyone. However, I do admit that once I’ve passed the 100 page mark I really hate to give up, so I will often stick it out or read another chapter in between other books in hopes that it will pick up again, especially if it’s in a series or by an author that I’ve previously enjoyed. I’m more likely to quit reading a library book or a freebie. If I paid for a book then I feel as if I’ve wasted my money if I don’t finish.
2/ It’s okay to read more than one book at a time. Sometimes I get mad at the poor decisions a character has made in a book and I will put the book down for a few days to “punish” it. Sometimes I put down a perfectly fine book because I can’t resist a new book by a favourite author.
3/ Read the book from beginning to end--the first time. When I’m rereading, I often skim read and or just flip straight to my favourite scenes.
4/ And now for my weird, personal rule: Don’t read the blurb. This rule is definitely not for everyone. It works for me in large part because after 40+ years of reading, I have a list of authors that I trust. Blurbs, at minimum, give spoilers for the first three chapters, and I just don’t want to know. I’d rather let the story unfold naturally. The exception, of course, is for authors that I haven’t read before. Even then, I mostly want the premise rather than the full blurb. Basically, if the author doesn't have the skill to interest me without the big hook in the blurb, then I probably won't enjoy the book anyway.
 Am I the only one who avoids reading blurbs? Anyone else have weird reading rules they'd like to share? Please comment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...