Friday, August 17, 2018

Where Do Writers Write?

Posted by: Dani Harper, Author

We often wonder how a story gets written. But do you ever wonder WHERE it was written? Thanks to today's technology, authors are no longer tied to a typewriter and a desk. 


In this post, some of the Here Be Magic authors have shared their favorite writing locations, unusual places to work, and sometimes getting the work done any which where you can! 

...



MAUREEN:
"Usually you can find me writing in my home office in front of my window but since I have a laptop I take my writing with me everywhere. I'll write in the living room, on my standing treadmill desk and even at lunch time at the day job.

"A few unusual places I've worked on my laptop include my car while waiting for the kids activities, on an airplane and at the beach." ~ Maureen  L. Bonatch

JODY:
"I am best in my nest. I confess, it’s a mess. It’s a couch, I’m a grouch, I don’t like to go out...

"But when I had young children, the strangest place I ever wrote was in the after school pickup line on an Alpha Smart because my laptop was too big to fit behind the steering wheel. I am not what you’d call a flexible writer when it comes to my work setting." ~ Jody Wallace

P.G.:  

"My favorite place that I've written is on the deck of a cruise ship. We took a cruise to Hawaii during spring break one year and the trip included 4 days at sea. This was back in the day when my kids were still at home, so normally I'd have been on mom duty. But not that week!

"I saw my family at meals, of course, and after dinner as well, but other than that... the kids were safe, supervised and happily occupied. My husband was off doing his own thing. And I got 7 hours a day of uninterrupted writing time--not to mention a perfectly gorgeous view of sky and sea, as well as unlimited coffee delivered right to my table. It was glorious." ~ P.G. Forte

LINDA:  

"I have a sweet little Chrome laptop that’s small enough to fit into my purse. I take it EVERYWHERE with me, because you never know when you’ll get stuck somewhere for any length of time.

"I’ve found myself writing at the automotive shop when I needed to get my car’s tires rotated (2 hrs.), or the oil changed (45 min.) I’ve written while waiting at the doctor’s office, and once while stuck at  a railroad crossing, waiting for the train to go by. I’ve gotten as little as a couple of paragraphs done, up to a whole chapter! But every little bit helps, right?" ~ Linda Mooney


DANI:  

"At home I have an exercise bike with a desktop plus an office. In spite of that, its the kitchen table that seems to get used the most. Away from home, it's always been "have laptop, will travel" for me. In the car, in the library, in a coffee shop, in an airport, at a campground picnic table... Name the place, I'll try to write there.

"When we lived in Alaska, we were commercial salmon fishermen. My hubs built a tiny little desktop in front of the mate's chair in the wheelhouse for me, and that worked fairly well during downtime if the ocean wasn't too rough. One time, a big wave caught us broadside and green water swamped my open window while I was typing. Like any true writer, my first instinct was to SAVE THE STORY! I slammed the laptop shut just in time! I was soaked, but my work survived." ~ Dani Harper


NICOLE: 
I don't have a formal home office, rather my laptop is set up in the almost-never-used dining room. (And on those rare family dinners when I do use it, I have to dig it out from under a blizzard of paper first.) But that's only half the picture. I plan out my novels and edit them longhand while curled up on the much comfier living room couch. ~ Nicole Luiken

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...