Monday, November 21, 2011

Got some popcorn?

Posted by: J.K. Coi
I was having trouble deciding what to write about for today. You see, while I have a new release on November 25, it’s not paranormal or fantasy. It’s a straight contemporary with cops and mobsters, strippers and guns. So while I’ll be ever-so-slick about slipping that link in here for you to check it out at your convenience (*cough* BRAZEN GAMES *cough cough*), I’m not going to plug it on the Here Be Magic blog because that’s not really what we do here.

So instead, I’m going to take it easy and talk about some of the movies I’ve seen lately.

We rented Captain America this weekend and I really liked it.  Not as much as Iron Man, but more than Thor. I liked the hint of steampunk and the retro, 1940’s feel. I didn’t like the tacked-on romance they wrote in as an afterthought, but it seems most of the marvel movies have that in common. Overall, though, it was a great final lead-in to the Avengers movie coming up in May 2012.

My husband and I also went to watch In Time when it came out two weeks ago. This is the one with Justin Timberlake as poor kid from the hood who finds himself gifted with time. And time is a really hot commodity since people are genetically engineered to only live until age 28—that is, unless they can manage to earn more time, doled out by the minutes and hours as a substitute for money. I thought this was a fantastic premise and it had huge potential, but the director/writers/actors, none of them really went as far with it as they could have, which was ultimately really disappointing.

Actually, now that I think about it, that’s about it. I don’t get out much. Especially during NaNoWriMo. However, I’m still hoping to see Immortals, Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows, and of course as the new year rolls around…The Hunger Games. OMG. Did you see the trailer!??!! If not, then check it out here!


So what have you liked on the big screen recently? For those who are writing, how has your NaNo been coming along?



JK Coi
www.jkcoi.com

9 comments:

  1. I finally watched the original "Resident Evil" the other night and enjoyed it other than wishing the heroine got to have a tough colonial marine like Hicks at her side. Oh wait, that's a different genre! LOL. Now I have to search out the sequels to RE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Help! I'm not Nano'ing and I haven't seen a new movie in ages (does watching an old "Murder on the Orient Express" on TV count?). Geez, I'm boring :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got really bored with Capt America about halfway through but I think I'm in the minority on that one. The rest of my family liked it. I want to see Sherlock Holmes, The Muppets and Super 8 (which comes out on dvd tomorrow). Also, lately I've had a craving for a new Daniel Craig Bond or Jason Bourne movie...don't know that any are in the works tho'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, there is a new bond movie coming soon! It's called Skyfall and is due out sometime in 2012. It has David Craig!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny, keep your eye out at Christmas for the Sherlock Holmes movie. You would really like that one I think

    ReplyDelete
  6. Veronica, I haven't seen Resident Evil. I keep thinking it's horror (is it?) and I'm a big baby watching horror (READING it and WRITING it on the other hand, a completely different story)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darn, I'm sad to hear that about In Time. I was looking forward to that one. I do love all the Marvel Comics movies, even when they're kind of fluffy. Can't beat guys in tights. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What about Immortals? Anybody see that one yet? Care to comment? I haven't been to see a movie for a while. I don't get out much either. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched Star Trek on my Mac last week when plans to see In Time with my daughter fell through. Enjoyed that again. And I'm planning to watch Blade Runner again sometime in the next few days. As for the big screen (and after reading your thoughts on In Time I might wait for the dvd) the one I'm really looking forward to is Hugo.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...