I was considering topics for this blog, when I heard some stories of writers suffering burnout. These were people, who juggled full-time day jobs with raising kids and writing to tight deadlines at night and on weekends. To meet the deadlines, they cut down on sleeping, relaxing and caring for themselves. They had breakdowns. Sometimes they ended up in hospital. It made me remember how important it is to care for ourselves. So I thought I'd blog about some of the things I do to keep sane in a crazy world.
1. Say no. We'd all like to be Superwoman (or Superman) but sometimes you just have to admit you can't do everything. There aren't enough hours in the day. Learning to say no can be hard but it's worth learning.
2. Treat yourself. Even something as simple as chilling out with a coffee or rereading your favourite book. Do anything you can to nourish your soul.
3. Stop giving. Take instead. I know, I know, we're told this is selfish, but if you don't care for yourself, you don't have the energy to care for others, or do your best work. The trick is to find a balance between taking and giving.
4. Meditation. Whether you use a relaxation tape, deep breathing or reciting a mantra, meditation is a great way to de-stress.
5. Smell the roses. Take time out to enjoy the simple things: the colours of flowers, the sounds of birds, the patterns of clouds. Feed your soul.
So what do you do to help you cope with a busy life?