Sunday, May 22, 2016

2015: the year of trying new things

Posted by: Shona Husk
For the first time in a few years I have had six months without anything new coming out. It wasn't that I wasn't writing, I was. I wrote so much last year, but nothing was coming together the way I had hoped.

But I did 2 things that made a world of difference to how I felt about what I was doing.

I made a new pen name that writes less romancey stuff (nope, not telling because it's still getting established. Other me though has had 0 rejections and 3 contracts...so my other self is already doing better than me. Is it wrong to be jealous of yourself?). I love writing romance, but I also love urban fantasy and I wanted to write longer story arcs between the characters. I could have done it under the same name, but I didn't want to break the promise that my Shona Husk name has, Shona Husk books always have a HEA. With my other name you will be waiting...

I also said yes to a couple of romance projects that I would have usually brushed past because I didn't have time. I had no contracted books, so I dropped what I was doing and made time. The first of those projects is the fantasy romance Skeleton Key Book Series.

It felt good to be trying something different instead following the path. No career is linear, but I know I expected my writing career to be a straight line (in an upward trajectory), it's not and I have decided to view it as more of a meandering adventure. I don't know what is around the corner, but if I'm enjoying what I'm doing then that makes it okay.

Warrior Queen
Skeleton Key Book Series
One Skeleton Key. Endless Adventures.
https://skeletonkeybookseries.com

After a big night out to celebrate his last day at work, Bryce Allard stumbles home. By his door he finds a glass skeleton key that makes his front door open to another world.

Queen Keleti’s city is under siege. Betrayed by her cousin, she must find a way to save her city from the invading army. Keleti is a Heavenly, a hawk shapeshifter, so she could fly to safety, but she will not leave her people. When she finds Bryce hiding in her city she thinks he’s a spy.


Bryce finds himself caught up in the skirmishes and the siege while trying to earn the Queen’s trust. Trust gradually becomes affection, and Bryce begins to consider staying instead of returning home. However he soon realizes why he is here. There is one thing that no one is willing to do to end the siege: kill a Heavenly.

He has to kill Keleti’s cousin. But will he be thanked, or thrown off the cliff by the Warrior Queen?

Buy links: iBooks Kobo Amazon Barnes and Noble

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of being jealous of yourself. Too funny.
    Best wishes with the new pen name.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...