Tuesday, July 28, 2015

From the Archives: Reading romance is like eating chocolate

Posted by: Shona Husk
Veronica sez: One from the Archives today, because I have a chocolate craving! Shona Husk's latest release is  OURS TO SAVE (ES SIREN 9) - story summary below the post!

I love romance novels and chocolate and indulge in both frequently. Here are few similarities I’ve found:

1) That moment when you stand in the store trying to decide what to buy.

Gritty romantic suspense? Paranormal romance? Something erotic?

White chocolate? Maybe dark mint…ooh a new flavor.

2) The inability to decide resulting in the purchase of multiple books/chocolate resulting in….

3) The credit card weeping silently in the corner

4) Enjoying the books/chocolate.

Admiring the cover, opening up to the first chapter and sinking into another place.

The smell of a freshly opened block of chocolate and the snap as you break off a piece and savor the taste.

5) Other people’s expectations trying to spoil it for you.

You read those novels? Why don’t you try this award winning literary novel where everyone dies alone and miserable? (Because as my sister says “I’d rather hit myself in the head with a spanner”)

If you stopped eating chocolate you could lose 5 kilos (Yes, I’ve been told that).

But I’m pretty sure that not reading romance/eating chocolate won’t make me a better mother/wife/author/person nor will it make me happier.

6) Ignoring all the comments and naysayers and enjoying a romance novel while eating chocolate. And then having an extra piece of chocolate because you can. Life is too short to live the life someone else expects of you.

Now if you will excuse me I need a hot chocolate…

OURS TO SAVE (ES SIREN 9): Micah Stone sees Solitaire as a fresh start. With twenty years' experience in the agriculture industry, he hopes the colony won't make the same mistakes that were made on Earth.

To most people, Micah looks like a member of the well educated elite, but he's really a Gaia activist. Not only did he lie about his daughter's age to get her on board, but his partner is one of the most dangerous women on Siren.

Felicity Valez was once an Army explosives expert, and she was also a member of the radical Gaia Movement. After being sentenced to life for sedition, she wound up on Siren. To protect her partner and daughter while they're on board, she needs to make sure that no one links the family together.

But her liaisons with Micah have been noted. And when her daughter's life is threatened Felicity will do the one thing she promised Micah she'd never do again: rig an explosive that will kill.

No one on Siren is safe.

1 comment:

  1. "You read those novels? Why don’t you try this award winning literary novel where everyone dies alone and miserable?"

    This is pretty much why I read what I do. Although I don't mind a bittersweet ending, I can't stand a miserable one. I stay away from Oprah's lists and focus on the genres I've learned to trust: spec fic and romance. My life has been wonderful ever since.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...