Sunday, May 26, 2013

What makes a series a keeper?

Posted by: Shona Husk
In July I’m starting a new series with The Outcast Prince (followed by Lord of the Hunt in Jan 2014 and To Love a King in October 2014). So I thought I’d take a moment to talk about some of my favorite series and what made them my favorites.

The Deverry Cycle by Katharine Kerr

I started reading this fantasy series as a teen and snapped up each book as it came out. I love Rhodry. He was a damaged hero, cast out and working as a mercenary. To this day stick a man in armor and a sword in his hand you already have my attention. I love a warrior hero.

Aside from a gorgeous here this book introduced me to past lives weaving between the present day and the past, showing how actions in a past life have brought the characters to where they are. It has a wonderful arc that spans 15 books. Did I mention there are also dragons and elves?

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

This is urban fantasy with lots of magic and creatures and harry always seems to be having a rough time. These books are fun. The plot twists around and magic goes wrong and cops and gangsters show up.

Sinners on Tour by Olivia Cunning

Sexy rock stars…do I need to explain? While I don’t read a lot of contemporary romances I love these. I think it’s because dating a rock star is a fantasy.

Graveyard Queen by Amanda Stevens

Creepy and compelling. The romance is woven through and on one hand I want them to get together but are they going to be good for each other or is it going to be a train wreck? I love the ghost mythology and the word building around them as well as the details about graveyards.

Dark Age Dawning by Ellen Connor

Only three books, but they are awesome post-apocalyptic paranormal romances. I love the world building and the way they just sucked me in and kept me reading.


What are some of your favorite series?

The Outcast Prince

"Brilliantly unique, beautifully sensual, The Outcast Prince had me spellbound from the first page! Shona Husk's engaging voice and vivid, creative world-building make every one of her books a must-read!" - Larissa Ione, New York Times bestselling author

Caspian Mort can feel the history in anything he touches, a gift he inherited from his father, the Crown Prince of Annwyn. Devastated over his ex-wife's infidelity, Caspian has withdrawn from human contact except when working as an antiques dealer.

While assessing the contents of the historic Callaway House he encounters the beautiful Lydia Callaway and senses that her home is haunted by a banished fairy. But what does the dangerous exile want? Unbeknownst to Lydia, she's the owner of the last remaining portal to Annwyn—a mirror hidden somewhere in the house. To keep Lydia safe, Caspian will have to divulge the secrets of his heritage, and risk losing his heart again.
Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Outcast-Prince-ebook/dp/B00BTMLK8E/
Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-outcast-prince-shona-husk/1112689804?ean=9781402280177&itm=1&usri=shona+husk

4 comments:

  1. I love Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series, and Stacia Kane's Downside series. They're both unique fantasy worlds, very different but well-written. I adore the humor and creativity of Kate Daniels, and get sucked in by the atmosphere and drama of Downside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree on the Dresden Files and Kate Daniels series. Also Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series, Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series and Nalini Singh's Psy-changeling novels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree on Dark Age Dawning. I love that series. Other keepers for me are The Black Jewels series by Anne Bishop, any book by Ann Aguirre and Laura Bickle, the H&W Investigations series by Jess Haines and Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega series among others.
    For me it's the mix of an intriguing world, a good story and beautiful writing that gets a book on my favorites shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I like Graveyard Queen too! I just recently discovered Sinners on Tour and I'm eating those books up like candy...delicious crack-laced candy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...