Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Novella Love

Posted by: Shona Husk
I love writing novellas (I also love reading them as I can usually read one in one sitting—and sometimes I just can’t commit to a novel because of work/writing/family etc). I am so happy that epublishing has opened up this market.

Writing novellas lets me dip my toes in stories that otherwise would never see daylight. I’ve written stories that happen in a few hours (Brightwater Blood) to those that span a year (How to Breathe Fire) all in approximately thirty thousand words.

Best of all I get to dabble in my first love of fantasy. I grew up reading fantasy novels, massive tombs that formed part of a massive series that would take years to get through... These days I can indulge my love of fantasy by picking up a fantasy romance novella. Sure there’s no cast of thousands, and the political situation isn’t described for 5 pages…but I get to step into a world of make believe and tag along on a short adventure.

I also like writing fantasy romance and writing novellas lets me indulge without chewing up time that I need to spend on paranormal romance (I love paranormal romance as it’s the best of both worlds—sometimes literally J). Writing a novella is like a little holiday from the big stories. Writing a fantasy novella lets me slip even further away. 

And while I’d once thought of becoming a fantasy author I’m actually really happy writing paranormal romance and dabbling in fantasy.

Saved by the Trickster
In a world of cold and Darkness, Lysanna is Trickster, a demi-god charged with making people believe in Light and hope. She travels the world creating magic and wonder, taking human assistants to help on stage and warm her bed. Somehow they always betray her, and they always leave. 

Zander is a fallen Celestial warrior. Cast out of heaven, he has been given one month to earn his way back. When he meets Lysanna he knows what she is. What he doesn’t expect is to discover the pleasures of being human and the burning lust he finds in the Trickster’s bed. Returning to heaven begins to lose its appeal, but he has a duty to fight the Darkness and he can’t let it consume the world. He may have to choose between duty and Lysanna.
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I love being able to write novella length stories as well! Best wishes with the new book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there's a spectrum for paranormal romance with one side being closer to contemporary romance and the other closer to fantasy. You definitely fall on the fantasy side - with more attention to the worldbuilding, etc. That's probably why I love your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love novellas for the same reasons, Shona, both as a writer and a reader. Congrats, this sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many fantasy worlds, so little time! Novellas really are the perfect answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with you about novellas, Shona. Great way to dip the toes in as a writer and a great length for readers as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...