Monday, August 1, 2011

Pewter Casting and Magic Guns

Posted by: Shona Husk
Back in 2009 I decided to do a community education night class in pewter casting. Random, I know, but it sounded interesting and I’d never done metal work before. The previous semester I’d done a class in cloth doll making and while I love sewing I really wanted to try something different.

The instructor was fascinating explaining the technique while filling the gaps with snippets of history. I learned two important things that first class:
1-carving a mould out of cuttlefish isn’t as easy as it sounds.
2-people used to personalise their guns with pewter inlays.

By the time I left after that first night I was well into the ‘what if’ land of magic guns in a western style fantasy world. Looking back I can’t remember the rest of the interesting bits from the class, and I wish I’d taken notes, but I have two pewter angels…and a novel.

In Dark Vow (November 14) the heroine, Jaines, is an apprentice gun smith and she works on Bounty Hunter’s revolver sparking more trouble than she’d ever imagined.

Why my imagination locked onto that one idea I’ll never know, but I’m glad I followed inspiration down that strange path.

Out today!
The Summons: A Goblin King Prequel
Every fairy tale has to have some basis in fact, right? That's what Eliza thought as she made a desperate plea to the legendary Goblin King. If he could grant her wish, she'd finally be safe. He would protect her. But what would he ask in return...?
Enjoy this short free prequel and a sneak peek of The Goblin King, the first of a highly imaginative new paranormal series by Shona Husk.
Amazon

4 comments:

  1. Downloading the prequel. :) I'm intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Story sounds interesting and very unique - I can't wait to check it out:)

    Good reading ~ Escape by Fiction :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pewter casting? Amazing where our ideas for novels come from. :-)Your book sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to the gun apprentice book. Love that kind of thing. It is amazing where the ideas come from!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...